I started a Web Site in 1999 when I came back into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. Tripod decided to block me a few years ago , so I stopped writing, posting. SO I decided to take the posts I had there and put them here. Plus new ones I found on the net and shares of my own. Take what you need and pass on the rest! Blessings ds♥

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Limits On Prayer?

Keep me out of it
Step Eleven says "praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out." Does that mean that there is only one kind of prayer I should do to draw closer to my Higher Power?
I doubt it.

It seems to me that this "will and power" prayer is a terrific tool to improve our conscious contact with the God of our understanding -- after all, that seems to be the objective of Step Eleven -- but I don't think it was ever intended to be the only prayer in my life.


I believe that the "will and power" prayer opens my mind to the existence of the spiritual dimension of reality and opens my heart to change. This prayer is like the yoga warm up, getting me ready. It opens my conscious self for the contact I seek with my Higher Power.

The other prayers that have become a traditional part of a Twelve Step program -- the Serenity prayer, the Third and Seventh Step prayers, the St. Francis prayer, and the Lord's Prayer which many groups use -- these other prayers all seem to aim for the same result: a conscious contact with my Higher Power.

All varieties of prayer and meditation are power tools for building my spiritual life. Would my Higher Power want me to leave them in the box?

No comments:

Post a Comment