I started a Web Site in 1999 when I came back into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. Tripod decided to block me a few years ago , so I stopped writing, posting. SO I decided to take the posts I had there and put them here. Plus new ones I found on the net and shares of my own. Take what you need and pass on the rest! Blessings ds♥

Monday, April 16, 2018

Getting started takes some time



Getting started takes some time
Joining a new spiritual community is always confusing and disturbing at the beginning. If the path is familiar, it's not new.

Everyone feels as if they have come in in the middle of the movie.
For me, the whole idea of a spiritual path was a major change. At first I didn't get it and I didn't want it. I kept coming back though, because at the end of each experience I felt better than at the beginning.
Like stepping into a different time and place, some things were familiar, some were uncomfortable, and a lot were hard to swallow. But I was in enough pain to close my eyes and gulp.


Looking back after years on the path, I think I understand some of what happened to me.  The common experiences -- meetings, ceremonies, sponsorship, intimate conversation, literature, and growing service -- taken together for long enough, form a context in which my mind is reformed.

The new vocabulary and concepts gradually coalesce into a new understanding of reality. The accumulation of other people's stories provides memories while I am accumulating my own. New mental models and new experience change my perceptions, expectations, and actions.

Funny, I haven't seen the whole movie yet, but I know I've got a part.

No comments:

Post a Comment