I started a Web Site in 1999 when I came back into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. Tripod decided to block me a few years ago , so I stopped writing, posting. SO I decided to take the posts I had there and put them here. Plus new ones I found on the net and shares of my own. Take what you need and pass on the rest! Blessings ds♥

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Defect Of Character


At the heart of Steps Six and Seven

Before a request that my Higher Power remove my defects of character could make sense there was, for me, a lot of self-discovery required.

Beneath unhealthy behaviors are the defects from which unhealthy behaviors grow. People say that their anger, fear, or intolerance are their defects of character. I think I know what they mean, but I'd like to be more precise.

Blindness, coughing, or uncontrollable shaking are unhealthy symptoms, but they aren't physical defects like glaucoma or TB. Likewise emotions or behaviors may be distressing or unhealthy, but they aren't the character defects.


A defect of character is a conscious or unconscious belief that, when I act on it, produces unhealthy distressing behavior. For example:

  • If I believe that I must sacrifice myself for you, I may caretake myself into sickness.
  • If I believe that I am not valuable, I may waste myself in corruption.
  • If I believe my suffering leaves me no choices, I may despair and abandon responsibilities, loved ones, or even my life.
My defects of character are beliefs that serve me badly. I must examine my deep beliefs and accept my humanity to become entirely ready for my Higher Power to heal these cracks in my soul.
Beliefs matter.

Bird Feet In Concrete  daily meditation book

No comments:

Post a Comment