I started a Web Site in 1999 when I came back into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. Tripod decided to block me a few years ago , so I stopped writing, posting. SO I decided to take the posts I had there and put them here. Plus new ones I found on the net and shares of my own. Take what you need and pass on the rest! Blessings ds♥

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Conception





 "Back to the Fundamentals"

The answer I was looking for was on page 12, in Ebby's words to Bill: "Why don't you choose your own conception of God?"


"I've tried everything else", I thought, "and I've got no place else to go. I might just as well." I sat down at my desk, got a pad of paper and a pencil, and asked myself, "If you could pick the kind of God that you could believe in, what would He be like?" I bore in mind the facts that I was an alcoholic and that I had been a perfectionist all my life.

The world was never perfect enough for me. Everything that I ever believed in, every ideal that I ever followed turned out to have feet of clay. Here was my chance. For the first time in my life, I could create something perfect. All right! I wrote across the page, "God is the perfection I've been searching for all my life. He is too perfect to have human characteristics and faults."
 

That was the start. Then I wrote, "God is the ultimate perfection. He is the perfect love, the perfect truth, the perfect goodness, the perfect understanding, tolerance, mercy, forgiveness. God is so perfect that no matter how evil, how unclean we may be, He'll forgive us if we ask, and grant us strength to overcome our shortcomings."


Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pgs. 63-64

No comments:

Post a Comment