I started a Web Site in 1999 when I came back into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. Tripod decided to block me a few years ago , so I stopped writing, posting. SO I decided to take the posts I had there and put them here. Plus new ones I found on the net and shares of my own. Take what you need and pass on the rest! Blessings ds♥

Sunday, July 1, 2012

CHARACTER BUILDING



Demands made upon other people for too
much attention, protection, and
love can only invite domination or revulsion. . . .
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 44

When I uncovered my need for approval in the Fourth Step,
I didn't think it should rank as a character defect.
I wanted to think of it more as an asset
(that is, the desire to please people).
It was quickly pointed out to me
that this "need" can be very crippling.

Today I still enjoy getting the approval of others,
but I am not willing to pay the price I used to pay to
get it. I will not bend myself into a pretzel
to get others to like
me. If I get your approval, that's fine;
but if I don't, I will survive without it.
I am responsible for speaking what I perceive
to be the truth, not what I
think others may want to hear.

Similarly, my false pride always kept me overly concerned about my
reputation. Since being enlightened in the A.A. program, my aim is to
improve my character.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boy this was me to the TEE!! I used all my energy to get others to like me, I did things that I am not proud of today. I am Grateful for the 12 &12 to help me to be a better person today. One Day At A Time. *giggles* I do fall short on this some days, but I try not to "people please today".
I hope you all have a wonderful Blessed day Love ya Donna S.
12/17/2005 10:06 PM




No comments:

Post a Comment